'13 Portentous - Dry Creek
Dry Creek Valley
The last two vintages of this wine are selected Best of Class of Region at the California State Fair 2010 & 2014. Nancy indeed has an excellent touch with this port and vineyard.
Our Double Gold, late bottled vintage port is a dream to make. The grapes were crushed and chilled down to 45°F and allowed to sit on the skins for six days, extracting flavors and color. We then added yeast and slowly allowed the fermentation to begin with close monitoring checking back every hour as the desired flavors developed, to press off the skins and add our brandy at optimal sugar to stop the fermentation. The blend was then transferred to older barrels and allowed to age for 6 years before bottling.
These grapes are grown in Dry Creek Valley. The grapes get very ripe and give spicy berry fruit with dark, black inky color. The wine is dense, dreamy and very concentrated blackberry, and dark chocolate flavors and aromas.
A blend of traditional port varieties with flavors of blackberry, cassis, and blueberries complemented with notes of dark milk chocolate, this is sweet and viscous in the mouth, blanketing the palate with a fine, velvety tannin.
Limited release 100 cases
1. Best of Class of California – California State Fair Wine Comp 2011; 2014 California State Fair
2. Chairman’s Award – Gold – Riverside International Wine Comp 2011
3. Double Gold & Best of Class – LA International Wine Competition 2010; 2014 LA International
4. Double Gold & Best of Class - New World National Wine Competition 2010
5. Gold – San Diego Wine Competition 2012; 2014 San Diego
6. Gold – Riverside international Wine Comp 2012
7. Gold – US National Wine Competition 2012
8. Gold – SF International Wine Comp 2011
9. Gold – SF Chronicle Wine Comp 2011
10. Gold – Orange County Fair Wine Comp 2010; 2014 Orange County
11. Gold - SF International Wine Competition 2010